By separating your customers into audiences of Profiles with similar characteristics, preferences and behaviors you can easily personalize their customer experience. Your segments can be used when launching campaigns or when you are creating your analysis reports. You are also able to share it with your other systems.
The Segment Builder also gives you full flexibility by allowing you to configure the attributes you’d like to group your customers by. You can decide by yourself which attributes you would like to include as Rules in the Segment Builder, and use them to create segments.
How it works
This guide will guide you step by step through the feature Segment Builder and how you can use it to start leveraging your customer data and create better customer experiences.
Navigating the Segments List
- Click the Segments icon on the left-hand side menu and you will be directed to the the Segments Homepage, where you are able to view the following:
- The total number of Segments you have created in the Segments List.
- The total number of Profiles (see Data Points for more information on Profiles) in all of your Segments.
- The Segments List displays all of the Segments you have created.
- In the section Segments List you can click any of the Segments listed. When you click it you will be redirected to an overview of the specific segment you clicked on.
- Here, you can find the segment details in the left column:
- How many Profiles are in the segment.
- By clicking the CSV icon you can export the Profiles of the segment into a CSV file.
- If the segment is shared to another system under ‘Sharing to’.
- What type of segment it is under ‘Segment type’.
- When it was created.
- When it was last modified.
- By clicking Edit Segment you will be redirected to the Segment Builder where you can edit the segment. If you want to delete the segment simply click Delete Segment.
- To the right in the Segment overview you will find the Rules that are set for the specific segment. You also have the option to delete them.
- If you click the ‘Analytics’ tab you will see Analytics associated to the segment or any other segment you want to look at. This scorecard view is completely customizable.
- In the ‘Profiles’ tab you will find a list of the Profiles in the specific segment you’re looking at.
- You can now go back to the Segments Homepage to start creating your segments!
How to create a New Segment
- Click Create New Segment and choose option “Segment Builder”.
- In the Segment Builder section, you are first able to name your Segment. You can also do this after choosing your Rules if you are not sure yet what you want to name your segment.
- NOTE: If you want to share your segment with SalesManago, you cannot include special characters, including characters such as åäö etc.
- By default there is a Rule box displayed with no value in it. Applying a Rule to your Segment is like applying a condition. From a drop-down list you are able to pick the Rule you wish to apply. After picking your first attribute (Age, Gender, etc) you then need to choose in what way the Rule should condition your Segment and choose the condition (less than, equals to, etc). Depending on the attribute, you also need to pick whether the Rule needs to be True, False or put in another value. Lastly, you need to press the green +Add rule button in order to activate the Rule. See example below.
- When applying more than one Rule you are able to choose how they work together by choosing either AND or OR in the orange button. When AND is applied it means that a Profile in your Segment needs to satisfy all of your Rules in order to qualify for that Segment. See example below.
- If you choose OR , the Profiles in the Segment will only need to satisfy one Rule. See example below.
- When you want to create more complex Segments you can click the green +Add group button which allows you to group several Rules into one layer. You are then able to both have several Rules that a Profile needs to satisfy and another layer where the Profile only needs to satisfy one or the other. This allows you to create sophisticated Segments. See example below.
- When you have applied all the Rules you wish to have for your Segment you might be ready to give the segment a name.
- To the right you can see Profiles in Segments which simply shows you the number of Profiles in the Segment you just have specified the Rules for. After applying your Rules you need to click the Preview button at the bottom in order for the number of Profiles to be correctly displayed.
- The next step is to select Segment Type, where you define what type your Segment is. You have two options:
- Once: Click Once if you want to create an ad-hoc Segment that is created once.
- Recurring: Click Recurring if you want to create a Segment that is automatically updated to keep relevant Profiles in the Segment. By either choosing “Daily”, “Weekly”, “Monthly” or “Yearly” you are choosing the frequency of how often the Segment will be updated with relevant Profiles. You can choose both a start date and time and end date and time (only valid dates possible). You can always edit the segment, even after it has been calculated for the first time.
- Under the More Options you have a few different options:
- Export Profiles to file: By clicking the CSV icon to the right you can export the Profiles in the Segment to a CSV file.
- Share to: Tick the box to the system that you want to share the Segment with.
- When you are creating a segment, you have the option to enable the segment to trigger email campaigns. By clicking Trigger actions you’ll find these settings.
- Click “Add Triggered Email Sendout” to proceed. You need to define the recurring segment in order to connect it to a triggered campaign.
- You are then redirected to the Email Builder where you can connect it to a specific email campaign.
- As you can see, this email campaign is directly connected to the recurring segment. You can either save it as draft or turn it on by toggle button under the question “Is this Email ready to be sent?”. If you want to know more about how to design your email campaign, look at our Email Builder guide.
- Lastly you can choose to Preview before you click Save Changes. You have just created your first Segment!
- If you want to add more attributes to segment on, given that you are sending that data to us, you can do it by following these steps:
- Go to the Admin pages > Segmentation.
- Click Refresh Information to get the most recent available data.
- Toggle on the additional attributes you want to appear in the Segment Builder.